PCMCIA Modem problem (Win 2K though)

This one for for the Win 2K experts.
After having dismantled my laptop and put it back together (this was to change the broken power supply socket on the mother board), my laptop does not see the modem in the PCMCIA socket. The PCMCIA socket works because I have tried a network card and that is recognised, I have also tried a memory stick/PC card adapter and that is seen by the computer without a problem. Unfortunately the modem also works becaus I have trien it on a different notebook and there it is recognised. I have tried again with a different modem card, my computer does not see it while a different computer does. I have tried booting, re-booting, installing drivers and removing them and all in all nothing happens. For anyone who knows a PCMCIA socket, Windows (2k) beeps with a message whenever anything is inserted or ejected. My computer does that (beeps) in the case of anything except a modem. You can insert and eject modems without a recognition by the computer at all.
I have checked my system setup and there is no mention of modems. Is there anything more basic that I could be overlooking?
If anyone thinks they have the answer then please let me know and give me some contact so that I can reach you.

Many thanks, Nazar.