Re: exciting dial up question

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Drew Parsons wrote:

> Do you have an ethernet port as well as modem on your computer?
> I have an ethernet/modem combo card.  When I plug it in the ethernet port
> (eth0) gets switched on by default, and the gateway gets set for it.
> Then when I dialup via the modem, the connection is made, but because the
> gateway is already defined for eth0, it doesn't get set a second time for
> the modem ppp connection.  This means my computer has no route into the
> modem connection, so it looks as though I can't access the net (which I
> can't).  I work around this by explicitly switching eth0 off
> (ifconfig eth0 down) before dialing up.
>
> Drew

I've got the same problem, I think. I have eth0 configured and when I dial
up, the modem seems to connect, but then it doesn't seem to do
anything. I've tried setting the gateway by hand, like
route add default gw ....
and in the netstat the gateway seemed to be there, but it wasn't doing
anything anyway. Is that the same in yours? And does anyone know the way
to do that automatically?