Re: So Close !!!!! (radeon)

El mié, 17-04-2002 a las 14:23, Dutch escribió:
> Starting over, since other things werent happening, I went to
> xfree86.org and downloaded via ftp XFree86 4.2.0
> Removed the old X and then Ran the install script - all went well.
>
> In the past I used xf86coinfig.  Now I see there is xf86cfg, and
> believed this to be a new configuration tool. So I ran it...
>
> All excited for a second, I see the black/white background pop up with
> the fat X (mouse) in the center....flickers...then freezes.
>
> Damn.
>
> Also, there seems to be an XF86config and XF86config-4...?

I don't know what you are running, but in my case was:
- Download XFree-4.2 source files
- Edit Makefile to install on /usr/local/X11R6
- make world
- make install
- edit /etc/XF86config-4:
  the first time I change the driver to "ati" (it works)
  the second time I chande the driver to "radeon (it works, too)
- /usr/local/X11R6/bin/X -probeonly (fine)
- Edit /usr/gdm/gdm.conf (mainly change the path of X and add
  /usr/local/X11R6/bin before the another one).
Currently I have XFree86-4.1 (from debian package) and 4.2 installed,
the fonts used coming from XFree86-4.1 (it doesn't matter, I guess)

That's all.

--
German Poo Caaman~o
mailto:gpoo@ubiobio.cl