Re: debian laptop for a train hopper

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 05:24:15PM -0700, wandering jason wrote:
> hello everyone,
>
> i'm trying to make a decision on which laptop to
> purchase. i've great respect for the debian community,
> and so i thought i'd ask for advice here.
>
> i'll use the laptop mostly for programming, writing,
> browsing, and listening to news and lectures.  i need
> something that will run fine with potato, including X.
>  and i need something as light and durable as
> possible--i hop freight trains when traveling and plan
> to take the laptop with me.
<SNIP>

I use public transportation extensivly since I prefer not to own a car. My old, trusty ThinkPad 760E has been a reliable and lightweight (4lb.) companion for some time now.

You can pick them up on eBay for under US$250 with a 2gig HD, 80Mb RAM. Mine runs Potato just fine and I've loaded SUSE 7.1 on another with acceptable performance using the KDE desktop. Considering the price and the fact that you can pickup and extra battery or AC adapter quite cheaply I think the 560E makes a great basic travelers or students laptop.

Dennis Kibbe