Re: Debian PC Requirements

> I am seeing similar problems but it takes 4 days to get to 300M which forces
> me to logout.  I have configured kdm to restart the X server on logout which
> solves the problems.
>
> I run Kmail, Konqueror, and Konsole, I don't run any other X program enough
> to make it worth mentioning.
>
> Closing all the programs does nothing for X memory use.

Oh, but does reopening them  cost more memory, or hardly any, and if hardly
any, does it give that tiny amount back when done?

In other words I'm trying to tell if it's really a "leak" or merely setting
memory up for its continued abuse, assuming roughly that it will be reopened
later and then it can be more efficient.

If that latter the bug report has to be filed much differently, e.g.  "Where
do I tell it to not waste more than N MB of memory being 'helpful' to its
future selves?  Can I request that be made easy to get to?"

Also check ps wax and see if kioslave or other "K under the hood" parts are
loaded.  If you use K apps from fvwm those can be safely clobbered.  If you
use the panel thingy, then the panel thingy is also going to use the core
libraries, which are much of the "weight" of a K application... and if it's
the libraries themselves getting bloaty, then yes, you'll have to bail X and
come back in to see that clean up.  But you should not need to reboot.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...