Re: Debian PC Requirements

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, James Hirschorn wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 10:56:47AM +0100, Chris Howells wrote:
>> On Thursday 11 April 2002 7:42 am, Brian Nelson wrote:
>> > You aren't running xplanet or something similar, are you?
>> >
>> > http://bugs.debian.org/140111

[...]

> Now I'm a bit concerned that something's wrong with my system. I'm not
> running Xplanet for one thing. And after 2 days up time with less than
> 20 apps, top shows:
>
>  1099 root       5 -10 1724M  72M 14668 S <   0.2 28.9  10:00 XFree86
>
> with 1652132K used for swap.

That's *very* wrong. Really. :)

Something is leaking some sort of resource in the X server; it's
probably an image or something like that. I would suggest closing client
applications one at a time and seeing if any release the resources.

If not, try eliminating likely or unlikely candidates. Something must be
doing it. Background changes, Xplanet, animated demos and other
highly graphical clients are the most likely suspects.

        Daniel

--
Sufficiently advanced cluelessness is indistinguishable from malice.
        -- Bill Seitz