Re: Debian PC Requirements

At 05:40 PM 4/9/02, Derek Broughton wrote:
Kemal R Seitveliyev wrote:
Well, it actually does not run very fast on my computer. Windows 2000 runs
at acceptable speeds.. Linux sort of
slows down substantially with every extra program started... I have

That sounds like you don't have a swap partition, the results of "swapon -s" should show something like:

Filename     Type            Size    Used    Priority
/dev/hda10   partition       248968  107692  -1

If there isn't any swap space at all, or it doesn't say "partition", you need to get some space on your drive to dedicate to swap. It's just not believable that a properly configured Linux system on a 300MHz processor with 96MB ram will run slower than the same machine running Windows 2000.

a Toshiba Portege 7010ct with 300 mhz processor, 96 mb ram, and have what
I assume to be woody - it got network-installed three days ago, so it's

No reason to assume it is. See your /etc/apt/sources.list. It contains lines like:
deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

basically if the word after the URL is 'woody' or 'testing' you have woody.

cat /etc/debian_version tells you what version your running as well.