Linksys card mis-recognized

Hi folks.  I just installed a new copy of woody on my Vaio after getting
a new drive installed in it.  I am having trouble with my Linksys
Network Everywhere NP100 PCMCIA ethernet card...

The card is recognized as:
Apr 10 01:49:06 gnat cardmgr[376]: socket 0: Anonymous Memory
Apr 10 01:49:06 gnat cardmgr[376]: executing: 'modprobe memory_cs'
Apr 10 01:49:06 gnat cardmgr[376]: + modprobe: Can't locate module memory_cs
Apr 10 01:49:06 gnat cardmgr[376]: modprobe exited with status 255
Apr 10 01:49:06 gnat cardmgr[376]: module /lib/modules/2.4.17/pcmcia/memory_cs.o not available
Apr 10 01:49:07 gnat cardmgr[376]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

There are two different revisions of this card, and I have two of the
original and one version 2.0 to play with.  This problem only shows up
on the original version of the card, which uses the pcnet_cs driver (the
new one uses axnet_cs).  Version 2.0 of the card works fine, and is, in
fact, how I'm communicating right now.

The two versions of this card have, in the past, caused problems because
/etc/pcmcia/config only recognized one of them.  That problem has been
fixed, and seems completely unrelated to this problem.

I am certain that these cards are functional and can work correctly in
Linux.  I have another woody laptop that will use either version with no
trouble, though I suspect it is running an older version of pcmcia-cs,
as it hasn't been upgraded in a while.

Since there's no manfid or version string output by cardmgr (even when
running with -v), I can't figure out how to get this card properly
recognized.  Can anybody offer any hints?

Thanks.
noah