Re: pcmcia load at boot

Patrik Andreasen <pan@botong.org> wrote:

> my /etc/network/interfaces contains:
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> ... plus some comments. So I should remove "auto eth0"?

Patrik - Thanks for following up on this.  Yes.  You should remove the
"auto eth0" line.  This line causes the normal boot procedure to try to
configure "eth0", which is provided by a PCMCIA card and is not
available until the card is powered up by cardmgr.  This configuration
should be done at a later time, after cardmgr has detected the card.
Fortunately, if network.opts has not been configured (i.e., not been
touched), then the PCMCIA network script runs "ifup eth0", which does
the trick.

This explains the behavior that you were observing.  Is this clear?

I assume that the "auto eth0" was put there by the installation
procedure?  I'll file a bug report against the boot floppies to have
this fixed.

- Brian