yikes! locked out of own system!

hello again list,

so i'm not sure how it happened but i've managed to lock myself out of my
system. i had installed debian 2.2.19 and installed enlightenment as the
deskop manager and everything was going ok. i tried installing a program
called jmax, and through a bunch of dependency problems ending up giving up
-- it requested libc6.2.4, which in turn requested locales 2.4, etc. etc. so
eventually i thought better of trying out all these unstable packages. so i
uninstalled them, then when i logged out of enlightenmnet, i know login to a
a graphical login screen that says "X Window System" -- before I'm pretty
sure the same login screen said "Debian user" or something like that. When I
try any of my passwords, they now don't work! I'm not sure what the problem
could do, and I have no way of getting past this screen to fix it! Has
something gone wrong with X Server or with XF86Setup? Does anyone have any
suggestions?

best,
Nick

--