problems with filesystem

Hi,

I am running woody on a Toshiba 1800-314. I decided to compile a new
kernel to fine tune a few things, include fb support and upgrade to
2.4.17 (previously I was using the kernel image 2.2.20). The
compilation process was quite straightforward and after
installing the new kernel and runing lilo
the booting process seemed to be goign as expected, including the fb
penguin. At some point however, when the root partition was being
checked I got an error message about my root partition not being
recognized as an ext2 filesystem or. That was the end of it. using
the old kernel booting is just fine and there is no error about
unrecognized or corrupt filesystems. I am using fsck 1.25 (this came
with my distribution whihc is already a couple of months old) and I
was wondering whether upgrading to the current version shipped with
woody (1.27, I think) I woudl solve the problem. Has anyone
experienced this before? Is the upgrade the solution to my problem or
is this a more serious thing?

Any help on this woudl be appreciated,

Cheers,

Luis

                  Astrophysics Group
   Luís E Mendes  Imperial College        Tel. +44 (0)20 7594 7539
                  Blackett Laboratory     Fax. +44 (0)20 7594 7541
                  Prince Consort Road
                  London, SW7 2BW
                  United Kingdom