Installing debian from redhat

See section 6.3.2 Installing from a Linux Partition.  You just need the rescue
floppy, and you put drivers.tgz and base2_2.tgz on the hard disk in a
partition that you will *not* be overwriting during the install.  E.g., if you
have /home on a separate partition, put them there.  You have to make sure the
directory structure is the same as a Debian archive, i.e., put the files in

debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/base2_2.tgz and
debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/drivers.tgz

and remember the path to the top of this tree.  That is enough to install a
base system, including configuring networking.  Then you can do whatever else
you need over the network.  The "2_2" refers to version 2.2, i.e., potato.  If
you want to upgrade to woody, then you can modify /etc/apt/sources.list and do
the dist-upgrade.

I installed slink like this on my Vaio N505VE over two years ago, with a
borrowed CD-ROM.  I had the same issue with only being able to use one floppy,
so I actually installed Red Hat first from a bootable CD-ROM, which worked
fine, then copied the Debian install files to the hard disk and installed it
from there.  My notes from then aren't great, and my memory is worse, but I
think I did it as above.

Good luck.

On Mar 21, stephen (stephen@dcode.net) wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > I've got a sony vaio c1ve and am borrowing a USB floppy drive.  I have RH
 > 7.2 currently installed and want to install debian.  Problem is, I have no
 > CDROM drive and no bootable dos partition.  Also, because of the USB
 > floppy I can only boot from 1 floppy and can't insert any more.  I read
 > that installs have been done by downloading a rescue image and mounting
 > this in /dev somewhere, however, the essential details of how todo this
 > are lacking.  How can I install from a working rh installation without
 > using cdrom or more than 1 floppy ?
 >
 > any help will be appreciated.
 >
 > cheers,
 > stephen