Re: kernel

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, blueraven@libero.it wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 01:08:20AM -0500, Hubert Chan wrote:
>
>> do it the normal way, I'll forget something.  Debian provides some
>> helpful scripts for compiling and installing kernels, automatically
>> applying patches (which you can specify, if they're available for the
>> kernel version), and compiling and installing 3rd party modules.
>
> Stop here! :-) I'm very interested in knowing what you mean with
> "automatically applying patches":

It means exactly that -- the kernel-image package can automatically
apply patches for you. :)

> I always used a mixed Debian-traditional way, downloading the kernel
> sources from kernel.org, applying patches by hand and recompiling
> using kernel-package stuff. I'd really like to know what I need to do
> that: some particular package?

Most, if not all, of the Debian kernel patches (freeswan, for example)
come in a form that kernel-image can automatically apply.

> particular patches versions? a special directory to put them in?

That, and a script, last time I checked.

> anything else? Pointers to docs are appreciated.

Grab the kernel-image package. It covers the details of what it can do.

        Daniel

--
There are no poisonous substances, only incorrect doses.
        -- Paracelsus