Re: kernel

apt-get update
apt-get install kernel-package

tar xvjf kernel-source-whatever
cd kernel-source-whatever
make <whatever>config
(config)
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --revision=<revisionname><revisionnumber> kernel_image

cd ..

dpkg -i kernel-image-<revision, etc, etc, etc>.deb

Look in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package

Look in /usr/share/doc for most package descriptions.

There's reasons for making kernel packages-- I had a really specific kernel that I had to make for some tomcat servers (all identical) and rather than compiling on each machine, and tarring modules and stuff over, I just got to copy a .deb over.

It's also really easy to un/reinstall, etc.

glen