Lost sound on IBM Thinkpad, Pentium II (Please help)

Hello,

About 6 months ago, my computer crashed after someone sent me a bad virus.  I had to reboot my hard drive.  Unfortunately, I lost my sound card.  Can you send me some simple directions on how I can restore my sound.

I'm computer literate, but I'm self taught, so nothing technical please.

Any help you can give me would be a blessing.  Thanks for your help.

---