Re: changed network config

Yang Shouxun, 2002-Mar-19 13:48 +0800:
> Dear Debian Users,
>
> I'm using Debian GNU/Linux unstable. Recently I move to a new place and
> the ethernet configuration changed as a result. I manually edited all
> the files.
>
> It works fine except that each time when pcmcia service starts, the IP
> address, network mask and other things are of the old version. I have to
> restart the networking service by "/etc/init.d/networking restart" and
> then eth0 uses the new configuration.
>
> Does anybody know what I miss so that I can put it right, save me from
> manually restarting networking service each time I reboot and want to
> connect to the network?

If you mean that you have static IP configurations for each
network you work on, schemes will help here.  In the
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts file, you can set different
configurations and name them.  Then, when you go to a different
network, change the scheme with

# cartctl scheme work  (where 'work' is the name of a scheme)

and the config will change.

The section for the schemes will look like:

case "$ADDRESS" in
auto,*,*,*)
        IF_PORT="auto"
        # Use /sbin/pump for BOOTP/DHCP? [y/n]
        DHCP="y"
        ;;
work,*,*,*)
        IF_PORT="auto"
        IPADDR="192.168.0.100"
        NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
        NETWORK="192.168.0.0"
	GATEWAY="192.168.0.1"
	DOMAIN=
	SEARCH=
	NAMESERVER=
	;;
esac

I'm not positive the last 3 entries above are accurate.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User