Re: [SOLVED] Re: user startx, hosed after kernel upgrade

Serge Rey wrote:

Ofoo Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 06:47:04AM -0800, Serge Rey wrote:

hi,

i'm running testing on a vaio z505r with X 4. this was all running
fine.  my problem started after doing a new kernel (2.4.17) to try to
get a backpack cdrw working through the parallel port. installing the
new kernel is ok but i have the following error when a user runs
startx:

Error loading keymap /var/tmp/server-0.xkm Couldn't load XKB keymap,
falling back to pre-XKB keymap

root can startx just fine. i've hunted with google but can't seem to
find a solution for this one.

any suggestions where to look?

i solved this one. turns out i had recently done a major apt-get upgrade
and forgot to clean out the downloaded debs. they were occupying all the
space so the tmp directory was squeezed and x couldn't create a few
files there. cleaning out the debs solved the problem.

I always do an "apt-get autoclean" after every upgrade to remove any old deb packages. The latest packages are still retained.

Cheers,
Brendan Simon.