Re: uninstall debian

[This is an email copy of a Usenet post to "linux.debian.laptop"]

On Sat, 09 Mar 2002 14:28:52 +0100, Birka Harmuth wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to install Debian on my HP XE3, but it does not work. The
> installation wants to configure the graphics mode and I get
> error-messages like these:
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111 Unable to
> communicate with X-Server.

That's not your GNU/Debian system not worknig, it's just X-windows. As to
my own experience this is a very common thing to happen if you have some
kind of non-standard graphics-hardware. I don't know if the HP XE3 is a
laptop, but you should search the list-archive at http://lists.debian.org/
for your computer. Maybe try choosing the vesa-driver in the initial
xserver-xfree86 configuation.

> Then this routine starts again and again and agin. It accepts no
> escape-key, so I cannot cancel the configuration.

You should also be aware of the fact that almost none *nix programs accept
the escape key. Try Ctrl-C instead. That works everywhere ...

> Now, I want to restart and uninstall Debian but I don't know how. There
> is also something written in the MBR, this has to be removed, because I
> have not access to Windows at the moment.

There are two ways of getting rid of the lilo-written MBR. One is to run
lilo -U (check the manpage, i may very well be wrong). The other is to
edit your /etc/lilo.conf file and check the commented-out paragraph at the
bottom. There you can add your DOS partition, so you can choose what OS to
boot in the initial lilo-screen at bootup. Or you can boot from a
Microsoft bootdisk (CD-ROM, floppy, whatever), choose MSDOS-mode and run
fdisk /mbr. That should rewrite your mbr to the one you got with windows.

> Thanks for your help,
> Birka

It would also help if you could tell the list which release of debian you
tried to install. The videocard drivers for X may very well be too old
for you if youre using potato with xfree 3.1.x...

Hope you won't give up that easy...

Max
--
	/"\