Re: Getting CardBus NIC support from Woody floppies

Romain FRANCOISE wrote:

Shay Elkin writes:

My ethernet card is a LG GoldStream which is actually an RealTek 8139
based.
Alas, the installation floppies doesn't have the appropriate modules
(http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html).

I own a similar RealTek 8139 based CardBus card and it won't work with
these drivers as CardBus support requires special plug and play support
From the kernel, and this will work best with the 2.4 series. You'll
have better results with the 8139too module, however I have tried many
times to get it to work with Adrian Bunk's kernel images, and never got
success. The module won't load because of a memory problem or something,
so I guess recompiling the kernel with more appropriate settings would
be the way to go.

I just tried installing with the 8139too module, in conjuction with cb_enabler and pci-scan, hoping they'll make it all work. modprobe works like charm, but when trying to get eth0 up, nothing happens: so no network is available to continue the installation.

And when I tried booting the bf2.4 flavor of the floppies, loadlin claimed for an invalid compression format, halting the system. As I forgot my external floppy in my apartment, and won't be able to get there until Sunday (Having some time with the parents. My brother recently convinced them to get DSL installed here, with an ISP that runs a convinient Debian mirror ;-) ).

So I guess that's out of the question as well.

What I still don't understand is why using the cb_enabler module, together with the patched rtl8139.c will not make that setup work on 2.2.20 kernels, and why such a setup can't be compiled with the floppies-source enviroment.

I actually never find time to do it, so I'm running RedHat 7.2 on this
laptop, the card is recognized right during the startup and you can use
it during the installation process.

No good for me. Don't like RedHat (Long story.) Do like SuSE, but don't like installing lots-of-stuff, then spending even more time updating them to a more recent version (Which is why I prefer the testing branch).

Worst case scenario, I'll either download most of the woody tree, installing from hd, or get the ISOs, and try to find someone with a CD writer and ethernet port, willing to commit them to plastic for me. Though I wish not do it - it would waste much time and hd-space.

Shay Elkin.