Re: XFree: LCD and CRT simultaneously

Olaf Stetzer, 2002-Feb-21 17:46 +0100:
> Hello list,
>
> I just received a port replicator for my Notebook, so
> I can use a normal mouse/keyboard and monitor in my
> Office. It all works fine (having both displays at the same
> time) but the timing (videomode) for the external CRT
> seems to be bad.
> Now I am not sure how to configure XFree to have a good
> display on screen (high refresh rate) and also be able to
> use the LCD. Are there two sections in XF86Config-4 for
> the two outputs or is the setting done by
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
> only valid for CRT (modelines) and LCD works just fine
> with every setting?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Olaf
>
> Specs: ati rage LT pro, Xfree 4.1 (sid), kernel 2.4.17

I saw in a previous post that you need to add a second Monitor
section, so you'd have two, one for the laptop display and one
for the external monitor.  It'd look something like:

Section "Monitor"
       Identifier      "Laptop Display"
       HorizSync       60-70
       VertRefresh     50-90
       Option          "DPMS"

Section "Monitor"
       Identifier      "External Monitor"
       HorizSync       60-70
       VertRefresh     50-90
       Option          "DPMS"

Use the correct sync and refresh rates though.

I don't know how it switches.  Perhaps the Indentifier is more
that a label.  Hopefully someone else on this list can shed some
light on that aspect.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer