Selectable bay on Tecra 730CDT and modules.dep

I'm trying to install Debian on an old Tecra 730CDT and I have 2 major
problems, so far:

The laptop has a Selectable Bay where you either slot the Floppy drive or the
CD-ROM. It also have an external floppy.
I can't boot fron the external floppy, I put the floppy in the bay and I
can't use the CDROM to install the base and the rest.
Does anybody know if  it is possible to boot from the external floppy?

Anyway, for this first time I installed from floppies. I can't get too far
After reboot, infact I get thousands of messages about modprobe being unable
to open dependency file in /libmodules/2.2.17/modules.dep
Those messages make it impossible to continue.
How can I stop them?