Re: radeon mobility

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> Hi Jason!

> > > Wat kind of laptop do you have?
> > Compaq presario 2700.
> > I'm starting to think that cygwin might be my only option.
>
> I ordered a ThinkPad A30 with Radeon Mobility. On LinuxCare there is a
> report on how to set up SuSE Linux an that laptop.
> Wrong laptop and wrong distro, but they explain how to setup XFree by
> hand from cvs:
>
> http://www.linuxcare.com/labs/certs/ibm/thinkpad/a30/suse72-config.epl
>
> If you find a working driver for a debian package it would be nice to
> post that here.

Since I was responsible for the report for the A30, just a couple of notes
about the cert report for the A30...  I tested this with the latest
version of SuSE quite a bit and there was one non-replicable error which
occured often with default kernels the distributions provided.

After compiling X from CVS, the server
would complain about "could not determine panel size" sometimes.  I could
not isolate this to a certain event; but often by compiling a newer kernel
this would go away.  In fact, I never saw this happen after compiling a
new kernel on any of the distributions I tested.

Also, if you have never compiled X from CVS, be prepared for a "funtime"
(tm).  On the A30, it took me almost 2 hours to get compiled on SuSE.
Be sure you install bison and flex (lex) also.  If you don't you will have
a fatal compile-time error in X as it goes, and it does not "remember"
where it was when it happened.  So you have to start the whole process all
over again.

As a point in reference, take a look at the same report but a bit further
down:

http://www.linuxcare.com/labs/certs/ibm/thinkpad/a30/suse72-config.epl

HTH.

--
Michael Perry | "Do or do not; there is no try" Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org