Re: Large HD problem(s) with older Laptop

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 01:54, burningclown@westhost43.westhost.net wrote:
> > That's only for older operating systems.  Linux 2.2 will probably only
> > see 8G by default (but can be forced to recognise the rest if you pass
> > the appropriate parameters).  Linux 2.4 should recognise the full size of
> > the drive.
>
> What are the parameters you mention and where should they be passed? I
> will have to install Debian 2.2r3, which is what I have the CDs of ...

See /usr/src/linux/Documentation/ide.txt for the details.

The summary is that the kernel command line paremeter (passed with "append="
in lilo.conf) of "hdx=cyls,heads,sects" will set hdx (where 'x' is 'a', 'b',
or 'c' as appropriate - always 'a' for a laptop) will set the geometry even
when the kernel doesn't detect it.

Set this to what you know is right (the safest way to determine this may be
to boot a 2.4.x kernel and read the boot messages) and everything will be
fine with a 2.2.x kernel.  This only applies for IDE driver compiled into the
kernel (as is the case with the Debian install disks).  If you load it from
an initrd (did that even work properly on 2.2.x?) then you'll have more
problems.

Also it's probably a really good idea to make sure that your root file system
is entirely within the first 8G of disk space.  It's not required, but it
could save you pain later on...

> > I suggest using Linux 2.4 and not using drive space >8G in Windows.
>
> Thank you for the software warnings and other information. I may retreat
> to my original plan of being a no-M$ household. Am wondering how FreeBSD
> (which I would also like to install on this laptop will deal with the
> large drive ... but that's a question for another mailing list ... :)

Probably much the same as Linux.  Use an old version and there will be
problems in seeing more than 8G, use the latest and it should not be an issue
at all - but I'm just guessing here.