Re: IRQ Conflicts ?

Um, actually, I've been running 2.4 kernels on several
laptops over the last year, with no problems other than
devices that aren't supported yet (winmodems, specifically).
In general, everything else worked fine -- including APM,
USB, and PCMCIA.  Some folks claim to be using IrDA with
no problems on these same machines but it's not something
I've tried.

The laptops I've used are all HP ones (I *do* work for HP,
after all :-).  The following are all running 2.4.10 kernels,
with PCMCIA, using Debian testing:

   -- HP Omnibook 500
   -- HP Omnibook 6000

I've also got an HP Omnibook 4150 running the latest Red Hat
(I think it's 2.4.6, maybe 7).

Sorry if this sounds like an advertisement; it's not meant
to.  Just wanted to clarify that 2.4 Linux on Laptops is
*not* an oxymoron....

Klaas Gadeyne wrote:

Erik, would you perhaps explain therefore to me why almost 60% of the
hardware in my laptop ceases to function if I run a 2.4 kernel, but work
flawlessly with a 2.2 kernel (2.2.20 basline debian is my currently
version).

This might be an interesting point!  Me neither, I've never succeeded to
run a 2.4 series kernel succesfully on a laptop (this is only my second
one, so it is hard to generalize:-).

Some more details for the interested readers :-)...

My previous laptop was a Toshiba Satellite 1640CDT.  I tried several
versions and configurations of the 2.4 series, but none of them ran
smoothly on the hardware.  Always crashes, never found anything in the
logs, never got a ksymoops :-(

My new one is a Dell latitude C810.  I got _everything_ out of the 2.4.17
kernel, until I stayed with the bare necessities, tried with or without
apm, with or without acpi, but nothing worked out :-(.

Even the event of plugging the laptop from battery to AC and vice versa
got me a crash everytime, with all of the above configurations...

Yesterday evening I decided to patch the good old 2.2.20 with ext3, and
since then, no more problems...

I know the information above is too succint to be able to diagnose the
problem, but I've read through many of the kernel's Changelogs to figure
out what could be the problem and never found anything that I presumed to
be responsable for the "phantom"-crashes.

I wonder whether there are people with the same (or contrasting :-)
experiences with 2.4 kernels on their laptops.

klaas

--
Ciao,
al