cardmgr stops recognizing NIC after upgrade

I'm reposting this via mail, as linux.debian.laptop doesn't seem to be
gatewayd in both directions...

This problem has plagued me for quite a while now, but after the most
recent pcmcia-cs and pcmcia-modules upgrade I have been unable to fix
it.  I have a Linksys Network Everywhere NP100 card, but it seems to be
an unusual model.  The entry in /etc/pcmcia/config for this card is:
card "Linksys NP100 Network Everywhere Ethernet"
  version "Network Everywhere", "*", "*", "AX88190"
  #manfid 0x0149, 0xc1ab
  bind "axnet_cs"

However, I typically have to change this entry to bind to the pcnet_cs
module, as my card is an NE2000 clone of some sort.  However, after
upgrading to pcmcia-cs 3.1.31-1 and the corresponding modules (built
from pcmcia-source), I am compltely unable to get this card to work.
This is what happens why I insert the card:

Jan  8 15:38:39 gnat cardmgr[1849]: unsupported card in socket 1
Jan  8 15:38:40 gnat cardmgr[1849]:   product info: "Network Everywhere", "Fast
Ethernet 10/100 PC Card", "2.0", " "
Jan  8 15:38:40 gnat cardmgr[1849]:   manfid: 0x0149, 0xc1ab  function: 6 (netwo
rk)

This is particularly strange, because in the past cardmgr always tried
to load the axnet_cs module, and all I had to do to fix it was
reconfigure it to load pcnet_cs.  Now, however, it claims to be unable
to do anything at all with the card.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.
noah