Re: ext. desktop hard disk 3.5" for laptop

Quoting Mark Janssen on Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 05:04:11PM +0100:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 04:52:42PM +0100, Werner Heuser wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > connected to a laptop, I don't know a solution to get a desktop
> > hard disk to work as external storage device connected to a
> > laptop. Especially I don't know how to solve the power
>
> There are several solutions to this problem. You could get an external
> USB casing (or firewire if you have it) and insert the desktop drive in
> there. These usually use external powersupplies (AC Adapter) for their
> power. There are also casings which don't need external power, but use
> bus-power, but this is usually only for 2.5 inch drives.
>
> Firewire can be quite expensive... but it's lots faster (if you have
> firewire on your laptop)

If you have a later model IBM ThinkPad you can get an "ultra bay" which
will take an additional hard disk drive.  I played with these a bit on
the T23 Thinkpads for awhile.

--
Michael Perry | "Do or do not; there is no try" Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org