Re: emergency shutdown?

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002 13:38, Simon R Tod wrote:
> My laptop's been left on for the past 48 hours. When I came back to it
> this morning it was very hot, the fan was kicking in evert minute or two
> and everything was working really slowly.... It's now just ceased up
> completely. The text has disappeared off my xterm and I can't get any
> movement out of the mouse. I don't see how I can do anything but just

Sounds like it's already crashed and this entire discussion is academic.

> Ouch I don't like that idea. The problem is, I was in the process of
> upgrading my kernel

Leaving a machine overnight while in the middle of such work isn't something
I'd recommend.

> - all I've got left to do is alter my /etc/lilo.conf
> file, run lilo, and shutdown. Because I hadn't altered the config file
> will it just reboot anyway, using the old kernel? What worries me is
> that in the process of installing the kernel, apt-get set up / applied
> (whatever the right terminology is!) a boot block. Is this going to
> prevent the thing from rebooting? And if so, so I don't reach the boot
> message that allows me to pick the Debian or Windows OS', is there
> anything I can do?

I don't know of any way that you can make your machine unbootable by
upgrading your lilo package to the latest version (some previous versions had
bugs) or by installing new kernel versions.

If you install a new package providing the same version of the kernel you
boot (say you install a new kernel-image-2.4.16 package to replace the
current 2.4.16 kernel you boot by default) then that could possibly result in
that kernel version not being bootable (I haven't checked the exact
functionality of kernel-package in this regard).  However if you install a
new package of 2.4.16 then your 2.4.14 kernel you still have installed should
still be bootable.