Problem with ess solo1 Sound.

basically it doesn't work!

when i try to modprobe the esssolo1 module it gives me the message that some device went missing. don't know what that means. maybe its looking for a joystick port my notebook doesn't have? if i try it again it tells me device or resource busy. under w2000 the sound uses irq 5 but i've also tried different settings for that which didn't change anything.
also had a try with alsa but that also didn't work. can't remember the error message and have removed alsa now, but i guess it was caused by the same problem.
anyone know help?
thanx