Re: Reality Check. (was Why Linux on a Laptop?)

> Well, you might take a "package pools" approach - rescue your own control
> files to a clas of apps or utilities, remove it entirely, use the
> packaging system to reintroduce the pool, and then look at the control
> files that come with the "standard" kit and apply only the changes you
> need back in.

You are talking well over my head.  Sorry.  I am happy to wipe the remnants
of Progeny out but I have no idea how to get that done.  I also am leaning
towards standardizing on KDE so I'd have no problem with wiping Gnome.

> GRUB/lilo probably not nearly as much a bug as X dying on you.  which
> flavor of X?

I am not sure what is what any more now that I loaded Unstable and 2.4.14.
Is there a simple inquiry to discover this?

"X -probeonly" only gets me "bash: X: command not found"

> Do they have 2.4.16 up yet?

Linux Kernel 2.5 pre-patch 2.5.1pre4

> What sort of "doesn't work" does it do, e.g. error messages, etc.

Several commands have been suggested to try and activate X from
Single and none have worked.  As you have noted, trying to test
anything in between the flashing display is a recipe for frustration.

> Turn off xdm/gdm/kdm so you don't have a GUI login attempt gumming up
> the works.

And I do that how, please?

> You may, however, need to back down to "plain" SVGA support until you
resolve
> acceleration problems.  That will require editing some control files, or
> regenerating them.
> xf86config is good, it's a text mode app that only asks you all the right
> questions, rather than expecting the GUI to work yet.
> * Heather Stern * star@ many places...

Sitting in the /usr/X11R6/bin directory "ls" shows me xf86config but neither
"xf86config -probeonly" or "xf86config" gets me anywhere.  I get a "command
not found error".  I presume this is because I am in Single mode?

Thanks!  doc