Re: Problem with configuring PCMCIA linksys pc card for network installation

> "Mike G" <mrgayeski@students.wisc.edu> writes:
>
> > I have a NetgearFA111 card that gave a similar message, it turns out
that I
Actctualy, thats a typo on my part, it's an FA411 (i went for the cheap
one).

> cardbus card and tried the FA511 but couldn't get it to work.
The FA411 isn't a cardbus card, but pcmcia-cs should still support your
card.

> What kernel version do you use?
I'm using 2.4.6 with the Mwave modem driver patch and the pre-emptible
kernel patch. any kernel above 2.4.7 had a bug with PNP that caused my
system to crash in a horrible way. Supposedly this has been fixed, but I
don't have the time to test it.

>Did you compile pcmcia support into the kernel?
No, I did not. Nor did I as a module.

>Did you pick pcmcia-cs from unstable?
Yeah, I'm using pcmcia-cs 3.1.27-1 and the module source by the same number.
which I grabbed from sid a few months ago. I've been too lazy to upgrade,
but 3.1.28, which is in sid now, should be ok. I actualy think you need .29
to get the modules to compile correctly.

> When I bring up the card by hand, ifconfig shows that the card is
> sending packets but never receiving anything.  Also, the vendor is
> 0xffff and lspci calls that illegel.

I *think* I rember and error message of that sort. The version of pcmcia-cs
that comes with woody and potato was made before these cards were released,
try upgrading to the packages in sid and let me know what happens. I have a
log of my instalation somewhere, I'll dig it out for you if upgrading
dosen't work.

-----
Michael Gayeski
mrgayeski@students.wisc.edu