Re: im only getting a small screen on my toshiba satellite 4200 "Why"

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, RAGZ wrote:

>I have just brought a second hand computer "Toshiba Satellite 4200"

Start looking help from
http://www.linux-laptop.net/toshiba.html

I couldn't find your laptop exact model, so I don't know
its technical specifications, such as the graphics chip.

>But I can only get a small screen to appear can some one tell me why and

On my laptop (Thinkpad), this happens in a low resolution mode.
Mine has a key (Fn-F8) that can zoom the screen. So, either use
higher resolution in your X-server, or try to find a key combination
to zoom the screen.

>drivers for the graphics cards haven't been loaded
> and I have tried the toshiba site but
> either got them or knows where I can get them.

Companies do not usually provide usable drivers for anything.
They have left the work to the community to program the
necessary drivers ourself. Fortunately, XFree86 supports
almost all graphics chips on laptops nowadays, and since
it comes with Debian, you probably do not need to do
anything special -- just download and install Debian,
from http://www.debian.org.

I hope this helped--by the way, could you please avoid long
lines and HTML in your email messages. It would make reading
and answering so much easier.