Re: How to Manage Linux laptops on and off the network?

Quoting Karl E. Jorgensen on Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 11:50:54PM +0000:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 12:40:00PM -0800, Boutet, Jeff wrote:
> > I know this is more a sys admin thing. But it is somewhat relavent.
> >
> > My company is currently in the process of replacing all the Linux
> > development desktops for laptops, as to increase our developers mobility.
> > Thus the laptop will have to perform in 3 modes no network, our network,
> > someone else's network (using DHCP). Other than custom scripts, run levels,
> > rysc, anyone have any idea's?
>
> For the network configuration, schemes work well for me:
>  PCMCIA slot 0 -> Home network (fixed ip)
>  PCMCIA slot 1 -> DHCP config
>  (and off course: no pcmcia card inserted = no network)
>
> a bit of editing in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts did the trick
>
> Hope this helps

The only thing I would add to both this email and the one following it
with really great scheme support in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts and
network.opts (thanks!), is to check out if you want to boot a different
scheme in your /etc/lilo.conf by using "append" statements which will
select the scheme you want.  Alternately, a simple "cardctl scheme work"
does the trick also!

--
Michael Perry | "Do or do not; there is no try" Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org