Synaptics Touchpad on Acer 610TXV fails

Hi.

I don't get my synaptics touchpad working corretly. That means neither of the 2 mouse buttons is work, tapping does not work and the movement of the cursor is somehow incomplete. The movement is not the jumping one like it is when the protocol isn't correct.

My goal is to get the touchpad and its buttons (2 normal buttons and 2 scroll buttons in the middle) and an optional USB-wheel-mouse (Logitech optical, 'the red one') working under gpm and X.

Befor my last update/upgrade cycle I got the touchpad working under gpm and X. At least the movement was correct and the left button was working (cut&paste under gpm and selecting. window-moving, etc. under X). But now it's broken. I can't tell u the version of the gpm packet before the upgrade.

I used potatoe for installing and dist-upgraded then. The touchpad was working under unstable. (didn't try it under potatoe)

The USB mouse was/is working perfectly under X when its plugged in.

I use Debian unstable and kernel 2.4.13 (hand made). Under X I'm using KDE.

/etc/gpm.conf:
device=/dev/psaux
repeat_type=msc
type=synps2

/etc/X11/XF86config-4:
[snip]
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"USB Mouse"
	Driver	"mouse"
	Option	"SendCoreEvents"
	Option	"Device"	"/dev/usbmouse"
	Option	"Protocol"	"ImPS/2"
	Option	"ZAxisMapping"	"4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Touchpad"
	Driver	"mouse"
	Option	"CorePointer"
	Option	"Device"	"/dev/gpmdata"
	Option	"Protocol"	"MouseSystems"
	Option	"ZAxisMapping"	"4 5"
EndSection

[snip]

Section "ServerLayout"
	[...]
	InputDevice	"USB Mouse"
	InputDevice	"Touchpad"
EndSection

[snip]
[end]

I mainly took it from http://cx.dhs.org/~cjj/l/synaptics_wmode.html
(I dont't yet tried a /etc/gpm-syn.conf!)

gpm is 1.19.6 (.deb is 1.19.6-5)
tpconfig is 3.1.2 (.deb is 3.1.2-2)

When I stop kdm and gpm and run "tpconfig -i" I get:
Found Synaptics Touchpad.
Firmware: 4.5 (single-byte mode).
Sensor type: unknown (18).
Geometry: rectangular/landscape/down.
Packets: absolute (new style), 80 packets per second.
Tap gestures: enabled.
Sleep mode:off.

In /var/log/syslog I have some related messages, but they don't tell my anything:
... /usr/sbin/gpm[319]: tossing PS/2 Data:
... " ... : (some hex value)
... " ... : (some hex value)
... " ... : (some hex value)

various of this (different numbers in []):

... /usr/sbin/gpm[452]: Invalid ACK in sysps2 initialization

and sometimes something like this when I tried out the stuttering touchpad moving and clicking (evertime a block of 3 lines):
... kernel: memory : cfcf96e0
... "                cfcf9920
... "                cfcf9aa0

Any ideas? Please help me! I tried a lot and read manpages and docu. :( It doesn't help much right now.

Johannes Eickhold.