Re: post-installation clean up

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 11:08:05AM -0500, Derek Broughton wrote:
> From: "Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shalehperry@home.com>
> >
> > On 22-Nov-2001 Serge Rey wrote:
> > > the one exception was i now run into the following after trying to
> > > apt-get install <anything>
> > >
> > > dpkg: error processing xserver-svga (--configure):
> > >  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
> > > Errors were encountered while processing:
> > >  xserver-svga
> > >
> > cd /var/lib/dpkg/info/
> > edit xserver-svga.postinst
> > dpkg --pending --configure
> >
> Wouldn't it be better to do "dpkg --pending --configure" first, to see
> what it's trying to do in the .postinst?  Just because the
> configuration is working doesn't mean it isn't broken in some way and
> I'd like to get all my scripts run correctly before hacking them.
>
> otoh, it's woody, which means that some scripts, on some days, are
> just broken anyway.

as the install was running i did see an error message about xserver-svga
failing to be configured, so i'm not putting this one down to a bad
script. i fixed up x by hand after the upgrade (i.e., a missing symlink
of X to the server was the problem).

sean's fix did the trick, fwiw.

thanks for the suggestions sean and derek.

s.
--
Serge Rey	http://typhoon.sdsu.edu/rey.html
Constraints often boost creativity.