Re: cpu speed measurement

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 09:35:25AM +0000, Alexander Clouter wrote:

> erm....*don't* use the cpu speed feature.  Don't ask too many questions but
> instead you can read the archive of debian-laptop mailing list.  If you loko

I read the discussion some weeks ago. I don't experience any crashes
when I turn the CPU Perfprmance = auto option in the bios on. I also
have to turn the apic option of.

The only problem is that I don't know if it really works. But I think
so. At least one time the kdecontrolcenter showed me 172 MHz (which
suggests that linux only measures the cpu-speed on bootup).

I already compiled apm in the kernel and set make CPU idle calls when
idle. Does this work? I thougt I need apic to do that. How is the apic
status on linux? I think I remeber some people telling me it is not
really working...

> battery life.  However if you are running quake or playing movies you
> probably won't notice a saving anyway.

I just used it to see if the cpu speed is not always low:-)

Greetings,
Michael