Re: Sound if root only

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> I have no sound.  My first thought is a permissions issue, but I'm not sure
> which files might cause this.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts or
> suggestions.
check out your /etc/groups file and see if your normal user is added to
the audio-group
To be sure type: groups  un der a shell when logged in to see which groups
you are added to
if this is not the case type: adduser <userid> audio as root
be sure to (if you did say an su - to do this from your normal account) to
logout and login again, only then will the changes take effect.
Also see if root and audio have rw on say /dev/dsp /dev/audio and
/dev/mixer which probably is okay.