Re: tpconfig

On November 17, 2001 12:56 pm, Daniel D Jones wrote:

> > > I currently don't have gpm installed.  I wasn't aware that it
> > > was required for tpconfig to work.  I interpreted the brief
> > > directions
> >
> > Hmm.  I was sure that it _was_ needed, but given your experience
> > I reinstalled tpconfig (finally in the Debian binaries) and tried
> > again - viola!  "tpconfig --tapmode=0" works great.
>
> Where did you put the command?  In a config file or did you run if
> from a terminal?  Under 2.4.14, I get an error running it from a
> terminal - timed out waiting to read from device.  The kernel patch
> is supposed to correct that, but the most recent one they have is
> for 2.4.2 and the patch reports that it fails in two places.

That happens if you run it under X - if you do it from a console it
seems to work - but if you install the tpconfig package (not the old
"synaptics" package) it sets it up during 'debconf'.  tpconfig will
run from /etc/init.d.

> > Thanks for giving me the impetus to finally get mine working
> > right - now to see if I can teach it that a corner tap is a
> > middle-button click!

However, the original "synaptics" module let me configure corner
taps, and this one says my touchpad doesn't support them.  Now, I
know it does under windows (not that I can figure out any way to make
use of corner taps in windows) so I think I'll try downgrading and
seeing if I really can do anything with a corner tap.
--
derek