RE: Network connection

On Tue, 2001-11-06 at 14:41, Marc Andreu wrote:

> I've seen tools that at the begining of the startup of the computer asks
> u which network configuration to use. I got 2 networks, one at
> work and another at home, both have a very diferent network configuration
> ( DHCP&Workgroups / Static IP&central server ).
>
> Do u know where could i get one of this tools? or setup my own debian to
> do that?

'whereami' doesn't prompt you for information - it runs a series of
tests looking for the presence of various hardware or network addresses
and _makes the decision for you_ on this basis.

It is a framework for finding where the laptop is, and configuring your
environment appropriately.  As such it pretty much isn't working
properly if it has to ask you to do something once you have it set up.

The patch included in the package will mean it runs on insertion or
removal of a PCMCIA card - an ideal time to figure where you are.  The
base installation will run at boot time as well.

Cheers,
					Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/        PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201    MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267