Re: Network connection

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 07:53:05PM +0100, Fredrik Jagenheim wrote:
> How do I make eth0 configure itself automatically whenever a network
> cable is inserted? Or otherwise configure the network at the request
> of a user?

[snip]

	I have a similar situation. I use mii-tool (only works for
100Mbps cards, although there are other tools for various 10Mbps cards,)
to check whether or not a link is present on boot, and bring the
interface up or not based on that. I put these commands in
/etc/network/interfaces, under the pre-up section for eth0 (man
interfaces will provide more information of the specifics of the file).
Now, when eth0 comes up at boot, if 'mii-tool | grep "link ok"' fails,
the interfaces stays deconfigured.
	I suppose you could also set up a cron job that periodically
checks the connection and brings the interface up or down based on that.

HTH,

--
Mike Alborn <malborn@odoitau.dyn.dhs.org>
# pgp keyid: C36DC30D

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in times of moral
crisis, preserved their neutrality."
-- Dante