newbie respectfully requesting help

Hello.

I am a new faculty member in the computer science department of San
Diego State University beginning my research program in machine
learning.

Every day for six years of my doctoral work I used Suse, RedHat, and
Debian linux installations on desktops, laptops, and even inside a
robot. I was fortunate enough to have this managed by a very capable
support staff. This same staff helped me identify precise equipment
needs with Debian in mind for the OS before I left New Mexico.

Now I have purchased a machine that is entirely mine to administer--
unfortunately with several deviations from the specs I submitted--and
I find that, between my unfamiliarity with the installation process
and the many gotchas that seem to lurk out there for laptop installs,
I'm not quite sure how to even begin. Sadly the support staff here is
not only swamped by its duties to the entire school of science, but
they seem hesitant to do a Debian install (SDSU being a very Windows
intensive place :(

If anyone has the time to give me a few pointers or to be willing to
dialog by email over the next several days, I would greatly
appreciate it. I'll provide details on all the hardware and other
specs as soon as I hear from you. As a heads up though, my machine is
a Dell Latitude C810 used with a docking station.

If you can help get me going and be there to point to the right
resources, I suspect I can take it from there. After all, I am a
professor of computer science! :)

Sincerely,

Joseph Lewis
Computer Science Department