Re: svgalib on an ATI Rage Mobility LF rev 2

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a rough time getting svgalib to work.

> The utilities
> distributed with the library all hang my machine (ARM Computer Inc.
> laptop, model N38W3), as does a tiny test app to retrieve the current
> chipset.  I have to reboot the machine after every attempt at running
> those tools; I notice that those which call vga_init() fail somewhere in
> that API call.  I have read the manual, and am using the same modeline
> and frequency ranges in /etc/vga/libvga.conf as I have in
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  Neither autosensing nor explicit configuration
> of the graphics chip (chipset RAGE) make a difference.  Has anyone had
> success with similar hardware?

Try the chipset flavor VESA and see if it behaves better.  I tried that
for an off chance when I was using a brand he didn't show there, and it
worked.  Not only worked but was actually much happier than when set to
VGA ... under which cirumstance, GIFs were okay but JPGs caused the screen
to develop a "meltdown" effect -- white bleed from the screen edges until
the screen was useless, and nothing would recover from it but a reboot.

While in my case the beastie wasn't using an ATI card, it can hardly do
anything worse than you already described to try it.

I *believe* that once it's happy with the vga_init() that those modelines
should work fine.   However, the case of an argument between a scientist
and Physics, Mother Nature wins, so you'll just have to try them and see...

> /etc/vga/libvga.conf is attached.
> Regards,
> Vince Virgilio

Best of luck