Presario Laptops...

I realise this has been discussed quite a lot, as well as threads on the
best buys out there... But all in all, my mother needs to get wired, and
has considered getting a Compaq Presario. What is the status on the
built-in modems these days? Are there machines with better modems, where
better includes stuff like open source drivers, and drivers that work
with latest kernels..., and are there any serious issues with these
machines?

I don't have the model numbers handy, just some specs (it's a 850 MHz
Pentium II/III ? machine, 128 MB RAM, 20 GB hardrive, built in modem,
DVD drive... (region info anyone?)), is there anything I should know, or
any reasons to rather look for something else?

Thanks
Hugo van der Merwe

--
To send me private (non-world-readable) mail, GPG encrypt it.
1024D/60715698: 5F2E 8EC2 E0A4 5D25 0569  F281 4A6C D76D 6071 5698