Re: Debian setup freezes when trying to remove pcmcia

[ Bart Szyszka wrote : ]
>   Hi,
>
>   I just got a Dell Inspiron 8000 and am getting stuck trying to get
> the thing to work. I have WindowsMe setup on a seperate partition,
> but after trying to install Debian once I can't get to WinMe because
> the Debian setup option to boot from harddrive didn't let me specify
> what partitions should be available during boot (or which should be
> active for that matter). Now I have a Debian system that loads
> automatically and stops during boot because of pcmcia. And I can't
> get to WinMe because of LILO. I've tried reinstalling, but whenever I
> get to the option to 'Configure PCMCIA' so I could make sure it's not
> installed, the Debian setup freezes. Any ideas on how I could go
> about setting up Debian and avoid PCMCIA completely. At the rescue
> disk boot= prompt, is there anything I could do like pcmcia=noway ?
> People have suggested that before rebooting a freshly installed
> system, I should try to either remove pcmcia or go to /etc/ and edit
> a file that starts with an 'r' (rc2.d?) to get rid of some line that
> deals with pcmcia. Problem is that there's no dpkg at this point in
> the install for me to be able to just remove pcmcia and there's no
> file or directly that starts with an 'r' in /etc/ either. I'd
> appreciate some help. Thanks!

I had the same problem the all solution is to not check a memory
segment defined into the /etc/pcmcia/config.opts

-----------8<---------------------------------------
#
# Local PCMCIA Configuration File
#

# System resources available for PCMCIA devices

include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff
include memory 0xc0000-0xfffff
include memory 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff, memory 0x60000000-0x60ffffff
[...]

And the daemon start fine !!!!

A+
Tito