Re: ThinkPad A21m sound card instructions request.

On Monday 20 August 2001 12:27, Stefán F. Stefánsson wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm wondering if anybody has instructions on how to get the sound card
> on an IBM ThinkPad A21m to work.
>
> Currently I get the following error message when I log in using X (KDE)
> as a regular user:
>
> 	Error while initializing the sound driver:
> 	device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Permission denied)
>
> 	The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
>
> However, when I log in as root then instead of the string "(Permission
> denied)" I have the string "(No such device)".
>
> It should be noted that I really haven't done anything to get this
> working so I'm looking for instructions on the normal process... this
> isn't some special case scenario where the sound card just won't work
> (well... I hope it isn't).  It's just that I've been looking for
> information on how to set up the soundcard and I can't find any.  I'm a
> Linux beginner so please be gentle... ;o) (a step by step guide would be
> just great!).

Hi
I also have a thinkpad A21m, but I have no problems with the soundcard.

You need the kernel-driver for "Crystal Soundfusion".
if you havent touched the kernel it should be fine. Otherwise activate that
option under sound and recompile again.

To get sound to work as a non-root user, you should add that user to the
audio group. (I have problems with this too...)
-As root type "adduser <your_name> audio"

> Kind regards,
> 	Stefan Freyr

You'r welcome
-Allan