IDE errors on mounting DVDs

Hi,

I'd appreciate any comments on the following problem I'm having when I mount a DVD:

VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
UDF-fs DEBUG lowlevel.c:57:udf_get_last_session: XA disk: no, vol_desc_start=0
UDF-fs DEBUG super.c:1410:udf_read_super: Multi-session=0
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x50
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 1799392

This is on 2.4.8 x86, on a Dell laptop with a TORiSAN DVD.

The DVD appears to be mounted, and the volume descriptor is read successfully. I can move around the filesystem and read many files, but any attempt to read a VOB file produces the IDE errors again, and the reading process gets an I/O error.

Initially I thought this might be a region coding issue, but my drive is set to region 1 and this is a region 1 disc.

I've seen this question asked several times before on linux-kernel, but never seen an answer.

Would greatly appreciate any advice.

best regards,
Calum.