SVGA and XF86Config

I have a 3040 CDT Toshiba laptop using Debian Woody.  I am also using xf86 version 4.0.+.
After I run xf86config, I can get the x window to show in 800x600 at 8-bit.
I tried to step up to 1024x768 using 16-bit.  I received a error message that the svga server was not available.  I tried to apt-get install svga but this did not work either.  Also, I tried to edit the xf86config-4 fiile and eliminating the generic vga section and leaving only a svga portion for the trident driver I have.  This still does not work.  Can someone tell me if I am missing a command or a lib or file.

Thanks very much

Eric