Re: Sync Mail folders without imap

Karsten Heymann, 2001-Aug-13 02:04 +0200:
> Hello List,
>
> i'm new to this list (as my notebook to me) and have an issue:
>
> I want to sync my mailfolder on the notebook with the one on my
> mailserver/firewall. I found isync and mailsync, but both require
> running an imap-server on my mail machine which is not what i want. I'd
> prefer something like rsync or unison, but with syncing from modified
> mailboxes on both sides. Someone having an idea?
>
> I found a thread on this issue in the archives (geocrawler) from 99, but
> that was about slink and didn't help me. I'm running woody.
>
> thanks,
>
> Karsten

   I use rsync to sync my ~/Mail directories from my laptop to
   my backup server.  I use maildirs, and it works nicely.
   However, I don't use these mail directories on the backup
   server, accept for reference and backup.  I don't think rsync
   will copy changes made on the backup server to my laptop, at
   least I haven't determined that yet.  I also like the fact
   that I can use ssh to run the rsync process over.

   rsync -e ssh -q --times --update --delete -r ~/stuff
   <servername>:<backupdir>

   You could also check out "catchup":

   http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/oss/catchup/

   I haven't used catchup, so I can't comment.

   jc

--

Jeff Coppock		Nortel Networks
Systems Engineer	http://nortelnetworks.com