can't login with a display-manager

Hi folks!

I cannot login with kdm, gdm.or xdm. The login fails everytime (authentication failed). On a text-console it's no problem. I don't think that something is broken, because it's a totally new installation and in the last installation occured the same problem. I have no more ideas. Could it it be that I have forgotten to install something? I can only get into kde or gnome with startx from command-line.

(Another problem is the sound in kde. The sound-server esd is only started if I start kde as root, but there's no sound as normal user. )

Have anybody a hint for me? Thanks a lot!!! :-)

Bernard

IhrName@web.de, 8MB Speicher, Verschluesselung - http://freemail.web.de