Re: Console Video Mode

Hi

(First message on this list, hope it's alright)

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 12:28:52PM -0500, Adam Kessel wrote:
> I'm using an HP Omnibook 500 running 2.4.7 testing/unstable, but I believe this
> problem effects many systems.
>
> My screen is shrunk to about 3/4 size when I'm in console mode. I think this is
> because the wrong resolution is being used.  Back when I used Windows on a Dell
> Latitude it exhibited the same behavior in full screen DOS mode.
>
> I tried putting vga=ask in lilo.conf (with CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE compiled into the
> kernel) but all this does is give me a choice of several text modes which are
> all still confined to 3/4 of the screen.
>
> Does anyone know how to set the resolution of the console mode so it will be
> 'full screen'?

Enter the BIOS setup and see whether you can enable an option to
"stretch" or "expand" the LCD.  Any resolution displayed that is lower
than your physical LCD resolution is then interpolated to fill the
screen.

If you actually want a higher resolution text mode, compile a kernel
with framebuffer support (don't know if your laptop is supported) or
install svgatextmode.

> Also, a quick off-topic (Samba) inquiry: I can't get samba to mount a Windows
> share with group/other writeable permissions, even when specifying fmask=000
> and dmask=000. I tried changing the permissions on the mount point, but as soon
> as I mount the share it switches permissions back to 022. I finally found a
> work around by changing the owner of the mountpoint to me, but I'd like all
> users to be able to write to the Samba share.  What am I doing wrong?

Sorry, can't help you there.

All the best

Rolf

--