Re: toshiba 1800

On Sun, 5 Aug 2001, Domenic Versace wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with getting x-windows
> working on a toshiba 1800.

I was about to say check out google, however its turning up nothing :-/
However not all is lost.  If you can dig out what chipset the graphics
card is, you will probably find other laptops that have the same graphics
hardware will work under linux, grab *that* XF86Config file and then tweak
it till you like the results.  If you need any help (I bet you will :) )
mail me, or this mailing list and we will help to speed up/stabilise X fo
you :)

> I am sort of new to this as well, what config files do I have to edit.

only one file really, /etc/X11/XF86Config.  Firstly you need to get one
roughly working.  Then you manually tweak it so that you get as mainly
acceleration features working (so X is nice and fast) without causing the
machine to be unstable, especially through hibernate/resume cycles.

good luck

Alex